Like Jazz ... but not. Rik Wright's Fundamental Forces is a collective of modern jazz players known for their genre-bending performances – world beat, rock, a touch of jam band and back to the core of jazz. This allure has helped them land three albums in the Top 10 of the CMJ Jazz radio charts.
Key points of interest
- Rik Wright was nominated for Seattle Weekly's "Best of Seattle" in the category of "Best Jazz Act" for 2017.
- Rik Wright’s Fundamental Forces has placed four full-length recordings on a variety of radio charts, including three albums in the Top 10 of the CMJ Jazz charts:
Subtle Energy (2016) - #4 Roots Music Jazz Album chart 10/29/16
Subtle Energy (2016) - #9 CMJ Jazz chart #1463
Green (2015) - #3 CMJ Jazz chart #1423
Green (2015) - #65 JazzWeek Top 100 Jazz Album chart 01/18/16
Red (2014) - #1 CMJ Jazz chart #1377
Blue (2013) - #21 CMJ Jazz chart #1342
- Fundamental Forces has been nominated in several award categories by Earshot Jazz magazine:
2016 "Northwest Recording of the Year" for Subtle Energy
2016 "Alternative Jazz Group of the Year"
2015 "Northwest Recording of the Year" for Green
- Wright’s efforts have been generously supported by funding grants from the 4Culture, Seattle Arts Commission, The Seattle Public Library’s PlayBack program, and the Jack Straw Foundation.
- Group leader Rik Wright has been performing throughout the Pacific Northwest, playing a myriad of venues across the region as well as becoming a mainstay on the festival circuit- having performed at Bumbershoot, Northwest Folklife, Bite of Seattle, West Seattle Jazz Festival, Anacortes Jazz Festival, Jackson Street Jazz Walk, etc. A full ist of festival performances can be found on the "Calendar" page.
Selected Press Quotes
"“Wright’s music is innovative, paving a path of his own making through the jazz kaleidoscope. Eclectic sounding with a flair for the exotic, Fundamental Forces is artistically imaginative and ventures into synthesizing a breed of blues, bebop, and rock that expands the public’s perception of jazz.” - AXS.com
“The sweet sound of a walk through life’s landscapes, seascapes and dreamscapes… exquisite displays of precise melody, lush harmony and lockstep rhythm.” – Jazz Times
“Wright can fool you into thinking world one minute, rock the next, a touch of new age and back to the core of jazz… Nicely done.” – Midwest Record Review
“Here we have a rare intersection of very accessible and very original jazz. Melodic, a bit funky, often beautiful.” – KFJC 89.7 FM
“Rik Wright takes classic jazz and heaps on piles of influences from across the musical spectrum, helping to perk up the ears of those tired of the same old swing.” – The Oregonian